Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How does this program work?
After program registration closes, each student will be provided with the name and mailing information of one Fairfield University student to correspond with. The student you are matched with will also receive your mailing address. When classes move to online after Thanksgiving make sure you send your December letter to the other address (if one was provided to you).
Ideally you and your "pen pal" will exchange one letter per month during the Fall 2020 semester. You can of course continue to write to each other throughout the academic year if you would like to.
You can write about ANYTHING. Introduce yourself. Reflect on your experience on or off-campus. Or use some of the writing prompts on this website.
Handwritten letters are highly encouraged but typed letters are okay too!
- Double check that you addressed your letter correctly, added a stamp, and put your return address on the envelope in case it were to be returned to you after spending your energy writing a heart-felt letter. If you do have your letter returned from the post office please let us know so I can help you get it to the student. Email Lthornell@fairfield.edu
- If you are physically on campus and writing to someone else on campus in Oct. and Nov. you do not need to use a stamp. You can drop your letter to the campus mail room with their full name and box number on the envelope and tell the person it is for a student mail box.
- If you are writing to someone with an international address check with the post office or mail room about the number of stamps needed.
- Try to send your November letter by the second week of the month since students may be traveling for Thanksgiving or prepping to relocate for when the semester transitions to remote learning.
- Remember to send your December letter to the Dec. address provided, which could be different from the address you used in October and November.
- Need envelopes? You can purchase them at the campus bookstore (next to the mail room) OR any post office.