Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
UPDATES REGARDING LIBRARY RESOURCES AND SERVICES
The DiMenna-Nyselius Library is currently closed and will reopen February 8th. Research assistance and physical item delivery is still available. To learn more about our resources and services, visit the link below
More details here. →
Hello! This course guide has been created for students enrolled in an PUBH 1101: Public Health and Social Justice course. In this guide, you will find several resources intended to help with your research work.
Below is a description of the pages found in the left-hand menu:
- Research Guides - These guides provide lists of the best databases and library resources to use based on your information needs. Clicking on 'Research Guides' will bring you to a list of all the guides available. However, in the drop-down menu I've singled out the Public Health research guide.
- Research Tutorials
- Advanced Search Tips - A few key tools and strategies to create a search focused on your research needs.
- Optimize Your Research - In this tutorial we introduce filters, functionality found in most databases that allow you to narrow results based on criteria such as date published, source type, language, and more.
- Finding Peer-Reviewed Articles - This page contains a list of databases that contain scholarly and peer-reviewed journal articles, along with a few things to keep in mind when conducting your research.
- Identify Peer-Reviewed/Scholarly Articles - Learn the characteristics of peer-reviewed journal articles so you can differentiate them from other sources.
- Brainstorm Key Terms for a Search - Learn how to take a research question or topic and compile a list of keywords that help both broaden and narrow searches conducted within databases.
- APA Guide & Citation Resources
- APA Style Guide - An easy-to-use guide on APA citation guidelines, including in-text citations, references, and general formatting standards.
- How to Generate a Citation - Many of our databases provide tools that generate citations for sources found in them. This guide provides an overview of where those tools are usually found (it varies between databases), and a few things to keep in mind when using them.
- Zotero User Guide - Zotero is a free citation management tool that can be used to help organize and keep track of all the citations you collect for the literature review. This guide can help get you started, but please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions