Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
UPDATES REGARDING LIBRARY RESOURCES AND SERVICES
The DiMenna-Nyselius Library is open for current Fairfield University students, faculty, and staff only. To learn more about our resources and services, visit the link below
More details here. →
Hello! This course guide has been created for students enrolled in an NURS 3310: Foundations of Research for Evidence Based Practice course. In this guide, you will find several resources intended to help with your research-related coursework.
Below is a description of the pages found in the left-hand menu:
- Research Guides - These guides provide lists of the best databases and library resources to use based on your information needs. Clicking on 'Research Guides' will bring you to a list of all the guides available. However, in the drop-down menu I've singled out the Nursing and Public Health research guides.
- Research Tutorials
- Advanced Search Tips - A few key tools and strategies to create a search focused on your research needs.
- Optimize Your Research - In this tutorial we introduce filters, functionality found in most databases that allow you to narrow results based on criteria such as date published, source type, language, and more.
- Finding Peer-Reviewed Articles - This page contains a list of databases that contain scholarly and peer-reviewed journal articles, along with a few things to keep in mind when conducting your research.
- Citation Chasing - Citation chasing is a strategy that can be used when conducting a literature review. The process involves taking the sources you've already found to help steer you toward undiscovered sources.
- Using Google Scholar - To get the most out of Google Scholar there are a few things you'll want to set up first. This guide provides instruction on how to set all of that up.
- APA Guide & Citation Resources
- APA Style Guide - An easy-to-use guide on APA citation guidelines, including in-text citations, references, and general formatting standards.
- How to Generate a Citation - Many of our databases provide tools that generate citations for sources found in them. This guide provides an overview of where those tools are usually found (it varies between databases), and a few things to keep in mind when using them.
- Zotero User Guide - Zotero is a free citation management tool that can be used to help organize and keep track of all the citations you collect for the literature review. This guide can help get you started, but please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions