Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
UPDATES REGARDING LIBRARY RESOURCES AND SERVICES
The DiMenna-Nyselius Library is open. To learn more about our resources and services, visit the link below
More details here. →
Hello! This course guide has been created for students enrolled in an ENGR 1031: Fundamentals of Engineering course. In this guide, you will find several resources intended to help with your Individual Technical Writing assignment.
Below is a description of the pages found in the top menu tabs:
- Research Guides - These guides provide lists of the best databases and library resources to use based on your information needs. Clicking on 'Research Guides' will bring you to a list of guides for disciplines such as computer science, engineering, or business analytics. However, in the drop-down menu I've singled out guides relevant to this assignment. Each discipline's research guide can help determine which database's provide access to primary source scholarly articles.
- Research Tutorials
- Advanced Search Tips - A few key tools and strategies to create a search focused on your research needs.
- Optimize Your Research - In this tutorial we introduce filters, functionality found in most databases that allow you to narrow results based on criteria such as date published, source type, language, and more.
- Finding Peer-Reviewed Articles - This page contains a list of databases that contain scholarly and peer-reviewed journal articles, along with a few things to keep in mind when conducting your research.
- How to Brainstorm Keywords - Once you've selected your topic, brainstorming keywords helps think of different ways to express your idea, or potential subtopics to explore. These keywords can be used to both broaden or narrow a search to find what you need.
- IEE Style Guide & Citation Resources
- IEEE Style Guide - An easy-to-use guide on IEEE citation guidelines, including in-text citations, references, and general formatting standards.
- Use a Citation Generator Safely - Many of our databases provide tools that generate citations for sources found in them. This guide provides an overview of where those tools are usually found (it varies between databases), and a few things to keep in mind when using them.