1. Opportunity and Market Analysis
- What is the problem or need being solved by the venture?
- Who is the customer or customer segment(s)?
- How large is the potential market, and how much is it growing?
- What factors affect the buying behavior of the customers in this market?
- What products/services are in demand in the market?
2. Industry and Business Environment
- Who are your main/potential competitors? What does the competition do? What is the basis of competition (price, quality etc.)?
- How are you differentiated from them? What is unique about your product/service?
- How easy is it to enter the industry?
- What strategies can be used to mitigate competitive threats?
3. The Solution and Concept
- What is the product or service?
- Describe a “day-in-the life” of the customer before and after adoption of the solution.
- What is the value proposition to a customer, and why is it compelling for the customer?
- Which customers have validated the product and are willing to pay for it?
- What is unique and defendable about the business?
- What is the appropriate price point? How attractive are the financial margins?
4. Marketing, Promotion, and Sales
- What are the most appropriate marketing mediums to reach the customer segment(s) and promote the product/service ?
- Who is the customer decision maker with purchasing power, and who influences that person to buy?
- What is the most appropriate type of sales channel for the product (e.g. direct vs.indirect sales)?
- What are the sales targets (forecast three years).
5. Product Development and Operations
- What is the current state of the development of the product(s)?
- What resources will be required to finish and ship the product? Be specific about what types of resources will be required (e.g. engineering, tools, suppliers, materials, partners, and customer involvement).
- What are the planned development timelines and key milestones targeted?
- What are the key risks that will be mitigated at each milestone?
- Do any patents, trade secrets, or other defendable advantages exist?
- Are there any regulatory hurdles that must be cleared?