AH 13 Research Paper Assignment:
- Sketch one of the Makonde masks brought to class (to be done in class).
- Write a brief description of that object (to be done in class).
#1 and #2 are to familiarize you with Makonde masks using original objects and how to write art historical descriptions.
- Find a Makonde mask on a museum website to be the subject of your research paper and get approval from Professor Pilotti.
- Read and take notes on Revolutions: A century of Makonde Masquerade in Mozambique. This catalogue will form the basis of your research.
- Search the library database for two or more scholarly journal articles or books that discuss Makonde Masks that you will use in your paper.
- Make sure you note the source information for the site where you found the image of the mask and the journal articles. You will need to include them in your works cited list.